Two years ago today we were surveying our property lines. We had moved out of our big house in the suburbs and into a teeny tiny apartment with three fugitive cats (I can admit it now, but yes, we didn’t pay the deposit for them.) I have very good reasons. First, they wanted $300 per cat! Second, it was all non-refundable. I mean, come on. I’m fine with giving you the money until I prove to you that the cats aren’t destructive but never getting it back? We moved into the apartment to save money not waste it.
And so, we lived in fear (or maybe just me, because I have always maintained a very healthy respect for authority). Towards the end I think the manager was on to us and started staging an inspection once a month for super random reasons. At this point we were months from moving out so it made zero sense to fess up and pay. So the three felines and I would ninja our way around the complex, in laundry baskets and blankets, covertly avoiding capture or discovery. What a HUGE pain in the ass!
But it was worth it, since that $900 bought us our first three sheep
And, if you are new to the blog, or to following us, you can view videos of us building our barn. We built the entire thing just me & him, except for the guy we got off craigslist to help with the day-of concrete pour and the team of guys who shingled our roof. There are a whole bunch on our youtube channel which you can visit by clicking here >> or you can click the links below. Here are my personal favorites:
- Clearing the Barn This one doesn’t have music but I will always get a kick out of my struggle and my completely oblivious husband…of course, maybe that’s why I’m so tough
- Surveying our Property Lines This video has a few haters…but I just remember what my Mama always told me, “Haters gonna hate”. Well not really like that but, you get the picture.
- Busted! A quick, fun laugh that gets me everytime. Nothing to do with construction. Just my handsome husband
- Dig, Fill, Set I love this video, it’s me and Mr. Nick setting the posts for our barn. Probably one of our most stressful days but also one of the best feelings when they were all in!
- Raising the barn beams When I see these beams, I still can’t believe we did it.
So here’s to celebrating milestones! Two years ago today we were staking out our property corners, and now, here we are, on our farm.